Wow, I thought since I was the last one it would be easy by now, but I guess not. I recently got a new laptop and was trying to move my dev environment over. I used the migration assistant and from an end users point of view everything was great, but from a developers point of view everything was a nightmare.
Here is what I did to get most stuff working (not sure its all there) and some places that were big helps:
- Ports - you have to remove everyhing from /opt/local - then get the new snow leopard versiona and then get what you need again (git, svn, imagemagik for me)
- Gem/RVM Hell - None of the compiled gems worked. Also im not sure I need rvm anymore for now, and for now it was just confusing me as to where all my gems were, so I removed it for now (nothing against rvm). Also need to fix all the system gems. To do this I did "env ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64 gem pristine --all". This didnt work at first, I had to remove 2 system gems (dnssd and one other) (they needed a special command to do that, which I dont recall). Also I had a bunch of gems I needed to install again to get them to be pristined. Once all my local gems build nicely and rvm was removed, I needed to clean up all the vendored gems. Most of them worked with rake gems:build:force but a few did not work. I had some big problem with bluecloth, feedzira and nokogiri. I tried a million things here, but mainly I think I had a few issues. One is that they were having a conflict with ports verison of curl. To fix this "PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH rake gems:build:force". Im not sure what my other issues were, but I tried 100 times to rebuild these and now they finally work. I think installing them locally and removing from gems helped at the start, then readding once I had it working.
- MYSQL -you need to install the new 64 bit version, but be careful to dump your old databases, for me once I finally got it working they were gone. You need to make sure you stop the old version of the db, before you install, this should help.
- Passenger - you need a new verison for snow leopard, go to their site and follow the directions. Check your httpsd.conf and make sure you get rid of the old stuff.
Here are some links that helped me through: